Ruminations on the joys & trials of youth camp work in the Smokies

Friday, December 09, 2005

joys of camp work 12/9/05

joys of camp work  12/9/05

Greetings,anyone out there who knows me....if you don't, maybe we will meet soon.

That is one of the high points of youth camp ministry -- we meet people from all around the world. I am not especially outgoing, and I have not been out of the country for eight years now, but all sorts of people have passed through little ol' Camp Living Water, people from Peru, Poland, Venezuela, Virgin Islands, Domincan Republic, Cuba, Brazil, Mexico, Nigeria, Korea, China, Japan, Russia, Wales, Ireland, the Bahamas, and California.

Staff who have served here have also gone out on recent missions to Vz, China, Brazil, Poland, the Bahamas and Mexico.

Every single one of these wonderful people, and hundreds more "plain ol' Americans" have enriched my life and the lives of my family and staff, and I am grateful to them all. Even more, I thank God Almighty who brings special people of all walks and skills and points of view to Camp Living Water. This richness is a little picture of the true Church Universal, made up of all believers everywhere....and it is a little taste of heaven.

If you are not experiencing this sort of diversity and eye-opening fellowship in your own church and community, GET OUT MORE!! Travel....join some sort of multi-ethnic club....and
get involved at a youth camp!!

From day to day I hope to share a few more thoughts with you at this site, drawn from nearly 20 years of camp work, from lots of serious reading and study, from 25 years as the head of my little (still growing!!) family, and from my adventures as a follower of Jesus Christ. And I hope to hear from you . . . this is a place to discuss the joys of camp ministry.

I wholeheartedly agree with our 58-year-old theme "God's Christ Magnified", and that is what I seek to do with this journal, as with all that I do. Put Christ first!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home